Home

Updates


Stories

Drabbles

Poetry


Manips

lj icons



darkhavens lj

bloodclaim lj



bloodclaim

links


email me



An Unexpected Gift



Author: darkhavens
Pairing: Spike/Xander
Rating: G
Feedback: darkhavens @ slashverse.com
Website: http://darkhavens.slashverse.com/
Disclaimer: Not mine, never will be. No harm, no foul, no money made.
Summary: Spike gives Xander a 'just because' gift.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


Xander looked at the box in his boyfriend's hands and reminded himself to stop twitching every time he so much as thought the word 'boyfriend'. It had been six weeks already, so he should be getting used to dating someone with the same equipment.

"Well?"

Spike's voice drew him back from the musings on his newly adjusted orientation.

"What?"

Spike sighed and pushed the box towards him. "Are you gonna open it or not?"

"Um... What is it?"

Xander studied the box, almost a foot square, plain white cardboard, no writing, no stamps, no clue as to what it contained.

"Well if I told you that it wouldn't be a surprise, would it, you daft git."

"But..." How to explain? Sound like a complete wuss by admitting that nobody had ever given him a present that wasn't for his birthday or Christmas or because they'd put him in hospital and wanted to buy their way out of feeling guilty? Nope, definitely not going there. "It's not... Why..."

A long-suffering sigh lifted and dropped Spike's shoulders and he jiggled the box slightly.

"It's a bloody gift. Now take it before I change my mind."

The box was lifted gingerly from his grasp, and Spike stepped back, leaving Xander holding the package like it was a ticking bomb.

"It's... it's not gonna explode or turn me green or anything, is it? Because I didn't mean to get Braal blood on your docs, you know that, right? I thought we agreed that you'd go left and I'd go right and..." He finally registered the pointed glare he was receiving. "Aaand I should just go ahead and open it, shouldn't I?"

"I'm just glad I didn't buy you anything that needed feeding because it would have starved to death by now. Bloody well get on with it!"

Xander took a deep breath and lifted one corner of the lid, braced to throw the whole thing at Spike if anything looked like jumping out at him. A quick glance at Spike showed no signs of incipient diving for cover, and so with a deep breath, he pulled the lid completely off and froze.

Nothing moved.

Apart from Spike's lips, which twitched as though stifling laughter or one of his more colourful comments.

Feeling slightly foolish, which was hardly new, Xander eased the box closer and peered inside.

"I... You... It..."

Lost for words, he reverently lifted out the limited edition, hand crafted model of the original Starship Enterprise, complete with rosewood stand and engraved brass plaque.

"But why...?"

"Just because, Xander. Because I love you. Because you never expect anyone to do anything like this for you. Because you put up with me. And because unexpected gifts are the best kind. Now, sit down and decide where you're going to put it. Anywhere but the bedroom, okay?"

"Yeah. Love you, Spike."

"Love you too, daft git."